Masterclass art and the city
Manifesto and the Centre Pompidou are launching a Masterclass on
Art and the City
What role can art and culture play in our cities? How can the presence of art play a part in reinventing the relationship between the built environment and urban space? Those are the key issues at the heart of the new Centre Pompidou masterclass. Open to real estate and architecture managers and professionals, the masterclass will be hosted in an art installation designed by Swiss architect Leopold Banchini right inside the Centre Pompidou Museum.
Today, art and culture play an increasingly important role in the modern city. The Centre Pompidou Masterclasses and Manifesto have joined together to develop a training program on artistic contributions in architecture and urban spaces. City developers acknowledge it always makes a difference. So what are the tools you can use in order to include art and culture in your projects ? How to make an arts project successful for the urban developer, for his audiences and the artists themselves ?
Encouraging and supporting reflection on the issues of an artistic contribution (whether temporary or permanent), incorporated into the built environment and the city.
- Exploring the different types of artistic commissions and contributions and understanding the artist and his/her relationship with the urban environment.
- Questioning the role of users, inhabitants and the public.
- Understanding a successful project’s step by step, its implementation and follow-up.
- Real estate developers and investors
- Social housing owners
- Architects, urban planners
- Public developers
- Public/private companies with built heritage (production sites, premises open to the public, offices, etc.)
Artists in the urban space
Two days of inspiration and experimentation at the Centre Pompidou, that will include meetings with experts and artists to enable every participant to address these questions and to develop his/her own tools.
Day 1 – What For
Understanding the need for an artwork in a public space
When the artists meet the city makers
Exploring the #1 contemporary art collection in Europe
Speakers (to be confirmed)
- Pierre-Emmanuel Becherand, in charge of the departement architecture, culture and design at Société du Grand Paris
- Laure Confavreux-Colliex, Manifesto Managing Director
- Speaker and curator from the Centre Pompidou
- Alain Sinou, Urban planner teacher at University Paris 8
Day 2 - How To
The experience of an art loving urban developer
Mastering procedures, legal and financial frameworks
Opening up new perspectives through a creative workshop with artists
Speakers (to be confirmed)
- Fanny Bannet, Manifesto Director of Operations
- Bertrand Julien-Laferrière, collector, real estate
- Nathalie Brevet et Hughes Rochette, artists
- Agnès Tricoire, Lawyer specializing in intellectual property and construction law
In-person course during two days at the Centre Pompidou Paris.
Next session: Fall 2019
Masterclasses costs : 2 400€ before tax / participant
The organizers have the right to postpone or cancel the masterclasses if the number of participants is considered pedagogically insufficient.
Intra-company session available on request.
Clarissa Pelino : email@example.com, 0033 (1) 85 09 04 52